Happy Halloween!!! I hope y’all are up for some tricks and treats today! I’m actually starting a new job working at a local charity shop today so I’m holding out for more treats than tricks. So to encourage the universe a bit in that department I figured I’d start by giving a treat. As a bit of a bonus today here’s a look at my Halloween themed Current Obsessions.
The Addams Family
I grew up on The Addams Family. I wore out multiple VHS tapes back in my day and was completely in love with the lesser known cartoon version. Somehow, over the years, I managed to lax a bit on my obsession with the ooky and spooky family. However, that has all changed thanks to ABC Family’s Freeform’s 13 Night’s of Halloween. I forgot how good The Addams Family movie and it’s sequel, Addams Family Values, actually were. Maybe it’s just the kid in me but I’m obsessed all over again.
As a bonafide 90s kid, I have had a long standing obsession with black lipstick. It was always something I admired on other girls but never something I thought I could ever pull off. That is until I started reading up on my little obsession with these articles on the important history of black lipstick here and here. While this formula isn’t exactly black, more like blackberry, it does push buttons in all the right ways for me. In fact, I love it so much I featured this color in my Beauty Trend: Vampy Lips post earlier this month. You can join me in the (almost) black lipstick obsession by picking up your own KVD Damned here.
The Walking Dead
No spoilers but…OMG SEASON 7! It’s crazy, y’all. That season premiere was a rough one but honestly, it all evened out with last night’s episode. In fact, I might go as far as to say that last night’s ep was probably my favorite episode of the hole series and that’s kinda crazy in it’s own right. If you’ve seen it then you probably know what I mean. If you haven’t then I suggest you get on it!
Before I say anything, this podcast is not for the easily offended. Honestly, it pushes my buttons sometimes but it’s comedy so just take it with a grain of salt. At the basis of this podcast is 3 guys who love horror movies, true crime, and all things creepy. Check, check, and check please! The other day I was listening along while doing dishes, typical. It was one of those days though. You know, the kind where things just continually go wrong until you’re just going about your day under a huge pile of ewww. The podcast made me laugh out loud so many times that my mood was instantly lifted with very little effort. It literally saved the day! That’s the sign of a good comedy podcast if you ask me.
What are some of your Halloween obsessions this year? Did you go to a killer party? What costume did you end up going with? Let me know it ALL in the comments!
Ahhh! Happy Halloweekend, y’all! I can’t believe Halloween is finally here! We’re keeping things going with the final costume ideas post of the month. What better way to finish this awesome link-up than with last minute costume ideas? I’ve got you covered with costumes for both guys and girls but I’ll take it one step further. I’m lucky enough to team up with my friend Koryn from Pick Your Beau this week so be sure to check out her post here and add any Halloween themed posts of your own to the link-up below.
This costume is a classic for a reason…it’s fabulous and kind of a breeze. Grab your favorite LBD out of the closet, pull your hair into an updo (like this), throw on ALL the pearls and costume jewelry you own, classic sunglasses & gloves, bonus points for the coffee & croissant!
No spoilers here but let’s just say Chad deserves to be your (or your bf’s) Halloween costume this year. Plus, it’d be super easy to pull off. Just raid your grandpa’s golf wardrobe or hit up your local thrift store for all things pastel and preppy. Viola! You’re now a millionaire frat daddy!
Wednesday Addams – The Addams Family
Ughh, Wednesday is my spirit animal. Good news is she’s got a pretty easy look to replicate. Start with long pigtails (spray ’em black for the full effect), throw on a black t-shirt dress (wear an oxford underneath or glue on a white collar), deaden the eyes and you’ve got it.
Negan – The Walking Dead
Guys, I can’t even begin to talk about the season 7 premiere of The Walking Dead. Like I physically just can’t. With that being said, I also can’t bring myself to have hard feelings toward Negan. Maybe it’s just my absolute love of Jeffrey Dean Morgan…scratch that, it’s definitely my absolute love for Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I mean, he’s Denny Duquette, John Winchester, Judah Botwin, and freaking Batman’s dad all rolled into one! But let’s face it, he takes the cake as Negan and you’ll most likely WIN everything if this is your Halloween costume. All you really need is a leather jacket, dark pants and boots, a red scarf, and your very own vampire bat known as Lucille of course.
I saved this one for last because, well, it’s my favorite. Throw on your favorite party dress aka that one from formal sophomore year that you saved up all year for but only wore for like 5 hours. Then do your makeup (you can catch a few awesome tutorials here and here) and strategically pile a couple of sticks into your hair! Boom! You’re a bonafide party animal!
I hope this has helped if any of you are stuck on costumes this year. Not gonna lie, I still haven’t nailed down my costume entirely and I need it like tomorrow. What are you going to be this Halloween? Let me know in the comments below and be sure to check out Koryn’s post here.
He may have totally killed my summer lovin’ vibes but September has some good things going for him too. Like Fall television premieres, for example!
I am a tv junkie, I am dedicated to my shows just like my grandma was to her “stories” (Comment below if you know what I mean! haha!). That can be a hard thing to keep up with when that network cancellation ax comes to town in the spring, or heaven forbid it’s midseason, but the Fall brings with it new beginnings. We get to catch up with our old favorites we haven’t seen in ages and meet some new friends just begging to be bumped up to favorites status.
Yep, I’m pretty serious when it comes to my shows so let’s take a peek at what I’m looking forward to this season.
ABC – September 22 @ 8 pm
I’m not gonna lie, I was a HUGE fan of The Muppet Show growing up…don’t even get me started on the Muppet Babies…my mom even used to sing the opening theme to me all the time. So, when I heard that ABC was bringing the Muppets back in a brand new show I was kinda excited. I’ve heard a lot of hype around the show, especially since the characters mean a lot to a lot of people, so I’m really hoping it turns out to be something great that a whole new generation can enjoy along side their family and friends.
FOX – September 22 @ 9 pm
AKA the most anticipated show on this list! I have been looking forward to Scream Queens since Ryan Murphy first announced he was doing a “horror comedy anthology” for FOX. That anticipation was only sweetened when it was announced that the cast would include: Emma Roberts, Jamie Lee Curtis, Lea Michele, Ariana Grande, Niecy Nash, and Nick Jonas, among others. I don’t know too much about the premise of the whole thing, or how there is such as thing as “horror comedy” but I’m totally on board, for now.
American Horror Story: Hotel
FX – October 7th @ 10 pm
There are few shows on television I enjoy watching more than American Horror Story. Not to say this is my favorite show (that’s just really hard to narrow down) but it’s one I just thoroughly enjoy. Weird? Yes but there’s just something about cozying up on a Wednesday night in October to have the begeesus scared out of you for an hour and I’m sure Hotel will not disappoint. I mean, it has Lady Gaga in it for crying out loud!
CBS – September 30th @ 10 pm
Code Black is a show I was completely not interested in at all, until I watched the trailer. It gave me chills AND made me cry. I’m not even joking! Also, that’s never happened to me. Not both at the same time and never while watching a trailer for a gosh darn tv show! That’s how I knew it was serious, y’all. So I’m not going to say anything else…you just need to watch the trailer.
FOX – September 27 @ 7:30 pm
Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Bob’s Burgers? I feel like I talk about it a lot…maybe that’s just in real life. Ha! Well, even if you’ve heard it a thousand times from me, go watch it! I fall asleep to it every night and I cannot wait to have some new episodes in my arsenal.
Grey’s Anatomy | Scandal | How to Get Away With Murder
ABC – September 24 starting @ 8 pm
I just threw these all into one because, well, there just aren’t words. If you’re not on the Thank God It’s Thursday bandwagon then I don’t know what to say because that one night has everything I could ever want from television. Grey’s has had me in an emotional choke-hold for over 10 years! Scandal grabs at the political scientist inside me and HTGAWM makes me both resentful and thankful that I decided against going to law school.
The Walking Dead
AMC – October 11 @ 9 pm
I saved this one for last because I’ve got something to ask you…
I am totally emotionally invested in this show. Sometimes, I finish an episode feeling like the “She doesn’t even go here!” chick from Mean Girls who just had a lot of feelings. So, my question to you is: Would y’all be interested in like an after show blog post? It would be completely about TWD and offer a place for fans to just get the craziness off our chests. Let me know, I am seriously interested in your thoughts!
That pretty much wraps it up, Magnolias. Got any shows I should add to my Watch List? Leave them in the comments below or tweet me! Oh, before I forget, we are now on Bloglovin’…again! I’d love it if you could give me a follow so you can stay up to date with all your favorite blogs all in one place.
1. Favorite candle scent? – As you may know from the Fall Favorites Tag, I’ve really been loving the Trick or Treat candle from Bath & Body Works but I just found where I had packed away my absolute favorite candle scent ever and that is Vanilla Cedarwood from Bath & Body Works as well. As you can probably tell from the picture below, this candle was burned down pretty far when I rediscovered it. I guess I tucked it away in my cabinet sometime ago to save it. I’m glad I did though because I haven’t been able to find it in store.
It smells so warm and makes your whole room so cozy. It really is the perfect scent for Fall and Winter.
2. Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate? – Tea. Hands down. I am a HUGE tea drinker. I have a cup every morning and probably have about six different kinds in my cabinet at all times. During the Fall and Winter I love mixing in seasonal coffee creamers with PG Tips brand tea because it’s super strong and that keeps me from loading it down with a ton of sugar. My favorite creamers are Bailey’s Red Velvet Cupcake and Coffee Mate Peppermint Mocha.
3. What’s the best fall memory you have? – One of my favorite fall memories is also one of my earliest memories. I was in preschool and both of my parents came to pick me up from school which never happened. My dad had gotten off of work early so he came with my mom to get me that day. I remember being so excited to see them both then holding their hands going down the “big kid” hall at school. When we got outside they held my hands and lifted me down the stairs between them. We then went to pick my baby sister up from daycare and went to the park. We were the only ones there and it was so fun just running around with my dad and posing for my mom’s camera. We even walked the little Indian trail above the park and ran through the leaves. I was probably 4 or 5 but every time I look at pictures from that day it brings back all those fun memories. My parents aren’t actually together any more so I appreciate those moments even more now.
4. Which makeup trend do you prefer: dark lips or winged eyeliner? – Uhm. Both! Why must I choose? I mean I’ll pretty much wear winged eyeliner any day but I do tend to keep the dark lips for Fall so if we’re talking Fall trends it’s definitely a dark lip. They look great together though, right?
5. Best fragrance for fall? – I don’t really switch up my perfumes all that much between seasons but I have definitely been reaching for my bottle of Gucci Guilty Black more now that the weather has cooled down.
6. Favorite Thanksgiving food? – Sweet Potatoes and Green Bean Casserole. Two separate dishes, by the way. I’m not even a huge fan of green beans as a side but I love green bean casserole. I think it has to do with those French fried onions. Yum. And who doesn’t like sweet potatoes? They’re like a side dish and a dessert in one.
7. What is autumn weather like where you live? – I live in the South, so autumn weather can be a variety of things. Take yesterday for instance, it was freaking freezing and today it’s sunny and 73. Mother Nature’s a bit indecisive when it comes to weather below the Mason-Dixon but we really wouldn’t have it any other way because once she finally decides to let the autumn weather stick around it truly is a sight to behold.
8. Most worn sweater? – My Gap camel cable knit sweater. I’ve had this sucker for years and every fall I break it out and wear it to death. Year after year I’m always so pleasantly surprised to see that it’s still kickin’ (that’s what I call a good investment, folks).
9. Must-have nail polish this fall? – OPI Lincoln Park After Dark. It’s a wonderful deep, deep, deep purple that looks practically black on nails so it’s absolutely perfect for this time of year so close to Halloween.
10. Football games or jumping in leaf piles? – Football games, for sure! Football is pretty much a religion in my high school’s town (We’re 3 time State Champs, y’all!), so it’s pretty much ingrained in us since birth. Plus, the last time I jumped in a pile of leaves I ended up falling on a chestnut burr…which is pretty much the opposite of fun.
11. Skinny jeans or leggings? – Skinny Jeans. I pretty much only wear leggings as pajamas and just hanging out around the house. I’m definitely more of a skinny jeans and a sweater type of girl.
12. Combat boots or Uggs? – Is it okay if I say neither? I’ve already broken the rules of this tag so I’m going to say yes. As you know from the Fall Favorite Tags, I love motorcycle boots. I’m not really into the harsh edges of combat boots and I’ve never really liked Ugg boots all that much, love they’re slippers and moccasins though but I don’t think those really count. So, I’m gonna stick to motorcycle boots.
13. Is pumpkin spice worth the hype? – I would say yes, because it’s delicious not because it’s a “totally white girl” thing to like or is “so basic.” Which brings me to another point…stop hating on people! That’s what you’re doing when someone is “basic” for liking something that a lot of other people like. It’s stupid. You shouldn’t be afraid to like something if you truly enjoy it. Of course there’s going to be people who don’t like something, this goes for anything, but just because you like something that seems trendy or really popular doesn’t mean you’re “basic” it just means a lot of people feel the same way you do. We talk a lot about not hating on people for being different so the same thing should go for people being similar. End rant.
The point of that was…yes, I enjoyed pumpkin spice flavored/scented things during the fall. 🙂
14. Favorite fall TV show? – The Walking Dead
Oh. My. God!
That’s pretty much the phrase I’m left with after every episode of The Walking Dead. The new season just premiered two Sundays ago but it’s already so crazy intense. I am so not joking when I say intense. I feel like I have to watch Disney Junior after each episode just to calm down a little. However, that doesn’t stop me from coming back week after week. I have honestly never been so emotionally invested in a television show before and if you’ve read Thoughts of a TV Addict or pretty much any of my monthly favorites then you know I totally get invested in my shows.
Seriously though, while watching the premiere episode one of my first thoughts was “Wow, look at how much Carl has grown.” Then there was the whole Carol and Daryl reunion hug that almost sent me over the edge. This is a show about a zombie apocalypse…people are dying left and right. That’s not exactly the best type of situation to get emotionally involved with the characters, but alas, it still happens. I watch every episode on the edge of my seat and pretty much stay there the entire time.
15. What song really gets you into the fall spirit? – I couldn’t really think of a specific song that got me in the fall spirit but then I remembered this little gem…
Come little children, I’ll take thee a away.
Who doesn’t love Hocus Pocus? This song definitely gets me in the fall spirit.
If you’re reading this then you are officially tagged to do the Sweater Weather Tag! Leave me a comment below linking to your post or video, or better yet tweet it to me @angelmerisa23!
Is it just me or has TV been extra “on-point” this week? As a true TV addict I’ve got way too many thoughts on the shows I’ve watched lately not to share them so let’s chat.
SPOILER ALERT! If you haven’t caught up on all the amazingness that was on TV this past week from Selfie, Manhattan Love Story, American Horror Story, The Vampire Diaries, Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, and The Walking Dead then TURN BACK NOW or be a gem and read my Fall Favorites Tag from yesterday!
Let’s take this day-by-day…
Monday’s more of a Netflix night, even though Gotham seems really interesting so I might try that out soon.
Selfie – Let’s face it, we’re all a little narcissistic with all the social media and technology at our fingers these days. This show follows a young, professional woman as she struggles with balancing her internet self with her real self. She enlists the help of a co-worker and as you can probably guess all I want is for them to be together. It’s like Beauty and the Beast except the female lead plays both.
Manhattan Love Story – This show is so freaking cute! It features Jake McDorman who played Evan on Greek and Annaleigh Tipton from America’s Next Top Model as the main characters, Peter and Dana. I love them! They’re so freaking cute, as I said earlier. The best part about this show is the realistic stream of voice over thoughts that follow the character through their awkward encounters. In last week’s episode Dana and Peter finally kissed so like any romantic comedy loving girl I cannot wait until this week’s episode. I’m also praying ABC doesn’t cancel it.
American Horror Story – Where to begin? Hmmm, how about this freaking clown? If that face doesn’t haunt your nightmares at least once after watching this show than you have nerves of steel, my friend. I just really hope that I can make it through this season without completely ruining my sleeping schedule. I love the premise of Freak Show and I’m really looking forward to finding out more about all of the characters. However, I have made a few judgments already. What is up with Elsa’s accent? By the way, I almost called her Fiona just then. Sigh. How did the Bearded Lady steal John Travolta’s accent from Hairspray? Because that is spot on! Also, how is Evan Peters still attractive after playing 2 dead guys (one being a mass murderer), an asylum patient, and a circus freak? I don’t know how he does it but he totally does.
The Vampire Diaries – I’ve been a fan of The Vampire Diaries since the first episode premiered. So much has happened to the characters I’ve grown to love over the years that I feel emotionally invested and keep watching just to make sure everyone actually makes it to the next episode. However, the fun thing about this show is that even if a character dies they’ll most likely still be on the show thanks to the supernatural craziness that comes with territory of vampires, witches, and werewolves. In this past episode we finally got a bit more information on what ever happened to Damon and Bonnie after the Other Side collapsed. They were sent to a Groundhog Day version of 1994. What? It’s all plaid shirts and Pearl Jam, my friends. I’m actually really excited about it, way more excited than the whole Stefan and Elena not being about to deal with their emotions thing makes me.
Grey’s Anatomy – Another long-time favorite, Grey’s is pretty much the Queen of shocking, major event episodes. However, Season 11 has been a bit of a snooze fest so far. Not even the possibility of a second Little Grey (Little Webber?) could spice things up at this point. Don’t get me wrong, I love Grey’s Anatomy and would gladly watch into Season 31, if such a thing is possible, but I’m getting a little worried that they’re running out of stem. I mean the big excitement point of the next episode is Derek and Meredith’s marital issues. That’s not exciting, that’s horrifying but not the same “make you wet the bed horrifying” that makes great tv like American Horror Story but the “ripe your heart out and stomp on your soul horrifying” that makes you want to cry for a week straight. Which is exactly what I will be doing if Mer and Der split.
Scandal – Let’s just say Scandal is all kinds of crazy at the moment. Everyone’s in the shadows, no one’s got a white hat on. Crazy. Crazy. Crazy. But I love it! I’m still standing firm on Team Jake and Mental Mellie is television gold.
How to Get Away with Murder – I freaking love this show! I wanna know everything about it. I could watch it over and over again.Every episode feels like a piece to a much larger puzzle and I can’t wait for that puzzle to come together. If you like Scandal then you will love this show. It’s incredible
Friday & Saturday
We’re back to Netflix because who has time to go out on the weekend when there’s the entire series of Parks & Recreation to catch up on? Not this girl.
The Walking Dead – Is there anything else on television aside from The Walking Dead on Sundays? I don’t think so. The Season 5 premiere was incredible. By incredible I mean gory, nerve wrecking, sickening, anxiety-inducing, heart pounding, stomach-churning amazingness. Like AHS, this show should come with a serious warning…children should not, in now way, watch this show. If you don’t think I’m being serious then watch what is quickly becoming known as The Trough Scene that featured multiple throat slashings…that’s really all you need to know.
Leave me a comment below letting me know some of your favorite TV shows this fall or what you think about the shows I’ve talked about.